these all star pickles are best w/ pulled pork, in a fried egg sandwich, atop salads or inside tacos of varying deliciousness. they are a product of the village market in the inner richmond of san francisco. kate baron, stephanie shelton & myself came up with the recipe while we were making our incredibly popular fried egg sandwich.
Makes 1 quart
- 2-3 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar (white vinegar will do)
- 1/2 cup filtered water, warmed to 150 degrees
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons peppercorn whole
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole red peppers (optional)
- heat up your water in a medium saucepan & dissolve the sugar in the warming water. while the sugar dissolves, thinly slice your onions.
- add your onions to a large big basin bowl, pour salt over onions and toss to incorporate throughly. next add in your peppercorns, vinegar, bay leaf and the optional red peppers and toss again.
- once the sugar is dissolved into the water, (may be done before you are finished with the above step, just turn it off and put a lid on it). pour the sugar water over the red onions.
- toss the onions in the warmed water/vinegar mix and let sit till room temperature.
- strain the onions into a quart sized mason jar and then carefully pour in pickling liquid over the top. refrigerate for 12 hours, the onions will lighten in color and the pickling liquid will turn a lovely soft pink.